Andrew McGill established himself as one of the most successful breeders of dairy cattle in the district.
Andrew arrived in Australia from Scotland in 1838. He was appointed joint manager of the Terry’s Meadows Estate(now Albion Park). He was one of the pioneers of the renowned Australian Illawarra Shorthorn breed of cattle, which today is still internationally recognised for producing large quantities of high butter fat and protein milk.
Andrew was involved in the establishment of a National School in 1859, and a founding member of the first Shellharbour Council in 1859, serving as an alderman for four years.
He was an original member of the Albion Park Butter Factory in Calderwood Road Albion Park, the South Coast Steam Packet Co. 1860, and Shellharbour Steam Navigation Co. 1875.
In 1874, the local community presented Andrew with a testimonial at the Albion Hotel for his great service to the stock owners of the district. Being unable to thank his friends in his mother tongue (Gaelic), his son read the reply on his behalf.