George W Fuller was a barrister and politician, who represented the area in both state and federal politics.
In 1889, George, a Federationist and keen supporter of Sir Henry Parkes, entered the New South Wales Legislative Assembly as Member for Kiama. He was elected to the Australian House of Representatives as member for Illawarra in 1901, served as Minister for Homes Affairs 1909-1910 in Alfred Deakin’s Commonwealth Liberal Party, and introduced the bill to make Canberra the seat of Federal government.
In 1911 he attended the coronation of George V as part of the Australian delegation.
George became member for Wollondilly in 1915, was leader of the New South Wales Nationalist Party 1916-1917, and served as Colonial Secretary 1916-1920.
In 1922 he formed a coalition government and remained Premier of New South Wales until his retirement in 1925. During his premiership, his government was responsible for the Sydney Harbour Bridge Act (1922).
George was appointed as a Knight Commander of the order of St Michael and St George in 1919 for his service as Colonial Secretary, and in 1928 was appointed New South Wales Agent-General in London.